Please Consider Becoming a Participant in a West Michigan Breast Cancer Survivorship Research Project
Be a participant in a research study using medical hypnosis, a meditative mind-body technique. We are still looking for men and women who have had breast cancer and who are a minimum of three months post regular treatment and not undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
The study is used to understand better potential beneficial effects of medical hypnosis in breast cancer survivorship.
Join the 23 Participants Who Already Have Completed the Study
We are looking for 15 more men and women to join the 23 research participants (as of October 31, 2014) who already have completed the study. As a research participant, you will work with Werner Absenger*, a scientist trained in mind-body medicine, using medical hypnosis. He will take you through the process of medical hypnosis, which is often described as a very meditative and relaxing experience during which you remain fully conscious. Saliva samples taken before and after the medical hypnosis session will test for the effects of medical hypnosis on a key cytokine (immune system messenger) of the body.
As a research participant:
- It will take about 2 1/2 hours of your time.
- You are helping researchers as they plan for the future.
- You may get greater personal awareness, knowledge, and understanding of medical hypnosis in breast cancer survivorship.
- Your participation is voluntary, and you may stop participation at any time during the process.
- You will receive $30 upon completion of your single-session, research study visit.
The Medical Hypnosis Study Ends November 30, 2014
If you are a breast cancer survivor, please get involved and contact Werner to find out how you can advance science and the field of medical hypnosis.
Thank You to All the Women who Participated in this Research Project!
We Couldn’t Have Done This Project Without You!
We Expect to be Able to Report Result by the End of April!
Please Stay Tuned. Thank You!
- Trained at the Center for Mind-Body Medicine in Washington D.C
- Trained at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas.
- Currently a Ph.D. candidate in Mind-Body Medicine at Saybrook University in Oakland, California.
- Memberships in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis (SCEH), and The American Holistic Medical Association (AHMA).